Thursday 30 June 2011

Getaways



Where to go?

Paris, perhaps for the illusion of romance; I do love the occasional smokescreen.
Rome, for the tanned faces of cocky young boys scooting past in motorbikes....hesitating at the clicking of stilettos?
And if it's not too much to ask, roses from the bucket of old men that roam the Spanish steps at night.
Now Tuscany pulls me close, and whispers in my ear a promise of an artistic retreat; why I shall serve up painters for breakfast; afternoons delights with a side treat of moody writers; and evenings, as the sun is long forgotten, and you grow into your valour, idealists will be yours for the taking. Just think about it!

New York, says, none of that nonsense. Intoxication is what you need, my dear! She looks me in the eye and gives it to me straight. "If you came,"she roars, "if you came, chances are you will never leave". "And why would you"? She says. "The saxophone is my chosen instrument, i will play you a tune, make that two. Did I tell you I recite Hughes by heart? Broke bread with Nora ... the stories i could tell, and I was Baldwin's muse you know, his one and only?"

"And I still got what it takes.... just look at all those handsome young men that come walking down my streets chasing a dream: all the dimple-faced brown ones that make me giggle, the white sweet ones from the country with their baby-fresh pleasantries , the spicy yellow ones with voices that make you groan...."

And, importantly, "I will entertain your craziness; we can dance all night and continue the shuffle in our starched office suits. I will dress you in the nicest threads too, not to worry; I know all the hidden gems. And best of all, there will be no strings attached, you don't like it, you can always take the door, it's on your left sugar, just leave me some change for coffee!! "

Mystery, mystery awaits in Algeria. "Camus was a fan you know, in fact you kind of remind me of him", he says with a husky voice.
"the mountains of Hoggar, Chrea or Tjkea will charm and draw it out of you.... you know what must come out, I need not say. It will work, no worries. Algeria does not speak; it allows you to find your voice. Come to the markets, take in the colours, and close your eyes and believe in magic. No carpet rides though, those are only in books. Cognac? I know you will love the city steps. But it is your choice."

Or I could stay at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment