Sunday 11 October 2009

What Style Means To Me

I often cringe whenever I dust off old pictures of myself in unflattering outfits. Like the summer I ventured out in MC hammer-like trousers, a shoulder-padded blouse and a pair of hideous white flats. In my defense I was only 10 and my mother really should have barricaded the doors. But I would be lying if I said my fashion faux pas moments ended there. Let’s see, we had the over-sized blazers and baggy pants that did nothing for my petite frame at 14; the obsession with tie-dyed skirts paired with white t-shirts around 16… which on hindsight were the perfect attire for a commune …. And between you and me, I have many more skeletons in my “fashionable” past.

This is why I take great comfort in knowing that at the end of the day fashion and style are two entirely different things. Style, to me, is a little like falling madly in love, while being fashionable is more of an infatuation, albeit with a deadly handsome man who encourages shopping sprees for Balmain jackets, Alexander Wang dresses and a range of items you really can’t afford and will probably only wear for a season.

Much like falling in love, before one can even begin to develop a sense of style an element of self awareness is necessary. In this case, this means understanding your body, personality, mood swings and comfort zones. For me this equates to no high-waisted jeans, leaving skin-tight one piece outfits for Halloween, saying yes to denim, draping, layers, pretty little dresses and jersey, but a definite no to all black ensembles; colour is everything to me!

I find that most women we have crowned style icons over the years, from Audrey Hepburn to Madonna and Chloe Sevigny, have embodied this sense of awareness. As Miss Hepburn once said on the subject of style: “you have to look at yourself objectively. Analyze yourself like an instrument. You have to be absolutely frank with yourself. Face your handicaps, don’t try to hide them. Instead, develop something else.” And a woman of her words she was. As a tall gamine, she shunned popular sexy designs of her time in favour of clean lines and simple staples such as Capri pants, turtlenecks and nipped-in the waist dresses and worked with designer Herbert Givenchy, who catered for her slender frame.
Fast-forward to modern times and style icons like Chloe Sevigny follow the same principle. Whether she is relaxing at a music festival in denim shorts and killer boots or attending an award ceremony in a quirky dress paired with cute flats, her style, although not championed by everyone, is individual, fun, whimsical and charming; she knows what works for her and isn’t afraid to follow her instincts.

Some might think this condemns one to a life of monotony, but on the contrary. I believe it simply means your identity seeps through every outfit you choose. Sure Monday morning might break to find you inspired to be a sixties’ flower child, and by all means travel back in time, but style to me merely implies that you can be inspired by a trend while remaining true to yourself.

Self-awareness might form the basis of great style but it’s nothing without butterflies; after all what’s a great love affair without romance. Knowing what works best for you only goes as far, having style I find means you must have the ability to have fun with your clothes, be excited by them, from the concept and the tailoring down to the detailing and colour.
When I was a child one of my favourite outfits was a yellow dress I nicknamed my “Cinderella gown”. Looking back there wasn’t that much to it at all, but I loved it mainly because whenever I slipped it on I felt special; like the queen of the ball. Exuding that excitement, not necessarily in a brash manner, is an inherent part of style. It is more heartbreaking to see a perfectly dressed woman looking horribly uncomfortable in her skin than to be privy to a fashion faux pas where the woman seems to radiate ease.

Yet, like with every love affair style most not be fearful of experimenting to keep the passion burning and should leave enough room for growth. Even though personally comfort is the basis of my style: I have a penchant for draped dresses- in another life my wardrobe would be filled with Costelleo Tagliapietra creations. And I hardly ever buy dresses without pockets and prefer silks and jersey. But as I have grown older the range of what I now deem as comfortable has expanded. I can wear a fitted dress and not spend the whole night fretting and fidgeting.
Madonna, I believe best epitomizes this. From her beginnings as a young entertainer, accessorizing with laces, cone bras and diamante cross to her more demure spiritual look in the early 90s, she embraces change and is always adventurous: “I’ve been popular and unpopular, successful & unsuccessful, loved & loathed, and I know how meaningless it all is. Therefore, I feel free to take whatever risks I want.”

I think regardless of what one’s style is, it should emit an element of ease and fun, like a lasting love affair, because after all it’s an extension of who you are, or rather who wish to be at that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment