Saturday 13 June 2009

A Room of One's Own



Fashion designer Nathalie Wood at her home. Image Courtesy of The Selby.


Virginia Woolf might have been distraught to learn of present-day absorption with other people's living spaces. And heaven knows what she would have to say about our preoccupation with their closets, lovers, food regime and music collection- I for one, am thoroughly obsessed with people’s choice of floors. Really folks floors are so important, you can tell a great deal about people who choose carpeting over an oak floor, at least i can! It’s my talent :)

I love doing up my flat. And i absolutely adore looking through magazines and interior design websites. I am a firm believer in the ideology that one's space should be an oasis; one which offers comfort after the day has exhausted one's defenses. One's space undeniably takes shape from a gamut of influences: those in our immediate surroundings and many from snapshots of faces and places we place on a pedestal in our minds.


This is why i love the The Selby, an inspiring website created by super-talented photographer Todd Selby. Doesn't his name make you think of old-school 1920 socialites? Great Gatsby anyone? Or Jazz parties in the lawn? Or is it just me?
Anyways, Mr. Selby, captures artists, designers and creative minds in their homes and studios. So inspired by many of them as interior decorating in one of my favourite pastimes . Could live in vintage stores and markets. Don't believe me you'll more than welcome to come over to dinner at my orangy/yellow Moroccan vibe home. Bring some wine though and a corkscrew! and flowers, loads! thanks.
The images included are some of my favourite snapshots, all courtesy of theselby website Enjoy and don't forget the wine! i have a penchant for red! Should we say 7pm?


Julia Roitfeld shoes.
Alexander Olch's bookcase

No comments:

Post a Comment